There are endless ways to experience the island and embrace Earth Day at Fort Young Hotel. From seaside al fresco dining to world-class scuba diving right off the dock, Fort Young Hotel & Dive Resort is your gateway to experiencing some of the most unique adventures on Dominica. Continue reading to find out our guests’ […]Read more
Fort Young Hotel & Dive Resort is pleased to announce it has been awarded Green Globe Certification, one of the highest standards for sustainability worldwide. Only the second property in Dominica to earn this accolade, the resort is recognised for its multiple community initiatives and committed management team. Among the resort’s eco-friendly practices highlighted in the assessment include:
- Garbage sorting programme, including waste specific bins to easily categorize waste
- Guest and staff education on waste disposal best practices including reusing and recycling
- Zero-waste in food production
- On-property organic tomato and herb garden
- Reduction in the use of plastic water bottles with the introduction of in-room glass water pitcher
- Staff involvement through education including training on the hotel’s Sustainability Management System and in the areas of health, safety, service level and culture
- Guest education through eco-messages and other person-to-person interactions pre-arrival and throughout stay
- Installation of energy monitoring system
- Implementation of waste management monitoring system
- The Green Globe Standard covers four key themes: Sustainable Management; Social/Economic; Cultural Heritage; Environmental. The standard includes 44 core criteria supported by over 380 compliance indicators. To guarantee compliance with the highest international standards, a third-party independent auditor is appointed to work with clients on-site.
Initiatives don’t stop there. Fort Young Hotel has plans for the near future that include the installation of a modern refrigeration system, assessment of operations to establish reusable systems, energy and water conservation efforts, and exposing staff to cultural experiences like art, music and local entertainment, as well as historical exposure through storytelling about the resort’s dynamic history.
“We’re thrilled to receive our inaugural Green Globe certification, an honour our entire team has worked hard to achieve,” said Dinesh Kissoon, Fort Young Hotel’s general manager. “Every staff member has been committed to this endeavor and this is a huge step in our journey as we continue to expand and evolve our sustainability practices.”