Dominica has a rich and vibrant history and culture, and the ground on which Fort Young Hotel was built is no exception. When we set out to renovate our landmark resort, we wanted to pay homage to the island and its inhabitants (humans, animals and lush wildlife alike). To help us celebrate the Nature Island […]Read more
A vacation is so much more than the destination. Where you choose to stay while there — to rest, to get ready, to rejuvenate — is the foundation for a great trip. After a day of hiking to waterfalls or snorkeling through the open sea, guests need a serene place to lay their heads and prepare for another day of adventure ahead. And that’s why they choose Fort Young Hotel.
Here are some things our guests have said about our hotel rooms:
- “Rooms were lovely and clean; love the views and waking up each day to a new cruise ship in port”
- “Our room…was well-kept and smelled very nice.”
- “Hear the surf crashing as you sleep”
- “The room was clean, comfortable and quiet except for the pleasant pounding of the waves which made for a good night’s sleep.”
- “The rooms we had, all facing the ocean, gave us views of the great sunsets plus afforded us with total peace and quiet, all we could hear was the ocean crashing onto the rocks making our sleep very peaceful…”
- “Our room had…a spa-like bathroom”
Sweet, island scents; clean, comfortable beds; the sound of waves gently crashing on the shore; and spacious, luxurious bathrooms—these are the makings of a peaceful night and an even more peaceful morning.
We look forward to welcoming you to Dominica and Fort Young Hotel someday soon. In the meantime, we hope you’re able to enjoy a little piece of the Nature Island at home. Here are some ways to recreate the Fort Young experience in your own bedroom.
1. Upgrade (or launder) your bed linens.
“Clean” and “comfortable” are the words most commonly used to describe our beds. Haven’t had your comforter dry-cleaned in a while? Old sheets losing the slip they once had? New or newly cleaned bed linens can make a huge improvement in your sleep quality.
2. Scent the mood.
Subtly sweet, a bit salty, fresh and crisp: the scents of the island. Pick up a sea- or tropical-scented candle to set the mood when you wake up. Or create your own blend of essential oils in a diffuser. Cedarwood, mandarin orange, bergamot and rosemary are good places to start. Better yet, get a reed diffuser, so you can go to bed and wake up to the gorgeous scent without any wick-lighting or water-refilling.
3. Let some fresh air in.
A cool breeze flowing in through your windows or sliding door — weather and external noise permitting — not only makes for a restful night but a crisp, refreshing morning.
4. Tune in to the sounds of the sea.
Even if you can’t be physically next to the ocean, you can enjoy the soothing sound of the tides rolling in and back. Get a sound machine or a white noise app on your phone, close your eyes and bask in your own personal paradise.