GEMS Holdings Ltd. and its properties – Secret Bay, The Residences at Secret Bay, Fort Young Hotel & Dive Resort and Tibay Villas – have implemented proactive measures related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) to promote a safe and secure environment for our staff and guests.
On March 22, 2020, Dominica recorded it’s first imported case of COVID-19. Like many countries across the globe, the Government of Dominica immediately made the difficult but necessary decision to close our borders to all non-essential travel for 21 days (until April 20) and to institute broad social distancing, quarantine and treatment protocols proven to mitigate the spread of the virus. The country and its people remain hopeful and confident that our local authorities and health care professionals have taken every precaution to contain the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
Our doors remain open as we innovate across all areas of our business to provide an ongoing service to our clients in support of the local community. We’re proud to have recently launched Koudmen Kitchen, an initiative to feed Dominica’s frontline COVID-19 health care professionals, and to adapt services at our waterfront dining establishment, The Palisades Restaurant, to now offer takeaway, curbside pickup and food delivery to the local community.
Our hearts and thoughts go out to the people who have been affected by this unprecedented global event and we appreciate the healthcare workers, local and global communities, and governments around the world who are on the frontline fighting to contain this coronavirus.
We look forward to welcoming our guests back soon.
Rest assured that the wellbeing, health and comfort of our guests and employees is of paramount importance. We continue to closely monitor the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Pan-American Health Organization and World Health Organization’s statements regarding COVID-19. Our properties are following the recommended guidelines from these established medical institutions, along with our local health authorities. Precautionary measures implemented to date, include:
- All staff members have been briefed on the guidelines and protocols provided by the local health authorities, including safe personal hygiene, symptoms to look out for, preventative measures and general education about COVID-19.
- Guests who are unwell with any symptoms of fever, flu or respiratory problems are asked to consult a doctor immediately. Our properties will assist with contacting a doctor if needed.
- Staff who are unwell with any symptoms of fever, flu or respiratory problems are required to remain at home. They are encouraged to implement a prevention plan at home to avoid spreading from home to work and vice versa.
- Properties are equipped with medical masks, gloves, eye protection, cleaning supplies, and biohazard bags, as well as ample hand sanitizer at communal and guest contact areas.
- Emergency supplies have been assessed to ensure adequate quantities are available.
- Special attention has also been placed to sanitize public contact points such as elevator buttons, reception counters, conference/meeting rooms, and all guest and staff facilities.
- Staff members have been advised to avoid shaking hands, and have been advised about proper procedures for luggage handling, housekeeping and room service.
- Properties are conducting daily meetings to review the status of COVID-19 and staff and guests are duly appraised of necessary updates.
We are confident our properties are operating safely on behalf of our guests and associates and will continue to work closely with and abide by the guidelines provided by WHO, PAHO, CDC and local health authorities.
On April 6, 2020, Robb Report published this story titled “12 Spectacular Hotel Hideaways That Embrace the Power of Solitude”.
On March 13, 2020, Madamenoire published this story titled “5 Quieter Caribbean Islands To Escape To Now”.
On March 13, 2020, Conde Nast Traveler published this story titled “We Still Believe in Travel”.
On March 4, 2020, Travel Pulse reported that travelers are wise to take the COVID-19 outbreak seriously, but there are a handful of facts to consider before canceling any travel plans or ruling out travel entirely. Read the full story here.
On March 3, 2020, Adventure.com published this common-sense guide to travel in the age of COVID-19.
In light of evolving advisories on global travel, in general, we have adapted our cancellation policy to provide our customers with the flexibility to book with confidence. Effective March 13, 2020, for guests with existing individual reservations for the next 90 days, we will allow changes to travel up to 12 months from the original travel date or cancellation without a charge up to 48 hours prior to arrival. For guests making new individual reservations for the next 90 days, we will allow changes to travel up to 12 months from the original travel date or cancellation at no charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival. For group reservations or the most up-to-date information and for additional details about availability and exclusions, please contact our reservations team by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +1 767 4485000.